Sunday 1 March 2015

    FUN AND FRIENDS ON THE TRAIN TO ADELAIDE

                               Kalgoorlie Gold Mine    


              
                                                      

In this age where humanity rushes to arrive at its destinations in the quickest time possible, people glued to cell phones, iPads and the like, travelling by train is a tangible reflection of the ways things used to be.
Can I remember any of the plane journeys that I have flown? Well only the one's that were awful! Yet I can still recall the emotions, sights and sounds of this amazing train ride.

I loved the freedom of being able to move about, eat and drink whenever I wanted, and heaven no queues for the lavatory! PLUS the absolute joy of watching the landscape pass by, whilst having the opportunity to sip a drink, write in my journal, take a quick snapshot or talk to a fellow passenger.

It was dark when we stopped at Kalgoorlie where we were taken on a floodlit tour of the super pit goldmine, the sheer size of it was unbelievable. 
This cavernous hole produces 850,000 ounces of gold every year, as this isn't a travel blog if you want to find out more about this goldmine you can visit www.superpit.com.au particularly if you are interested in the ecological aspects.

The train stayed still and silent that night, only the incredible night sounds so uniquely Australian filtered into the darkened train. I lay on my bunk, still slightly uncomfortable at sharing such an intimate space with a stranger, but even that couldn't dampen my wonder and excitement.
Though travelling by air isn't much fun, it had enabled me to experience the wonders of a totally new land, and given me the opportunity to begin a journey of my own.
I know that my faith in the guiding hands of my unseen guides and angels made my decision to set out on my new path easier. I appreciate there are those who do not empathise with this kind of thinking and I have no intention of trying to change anyone's mind, or trying to prove my own belief, I have no desire to. 

I felt the train rumble into life, and slowly we set off on the next leg of our ride travelling through the Nullarbor Plain, a vista that totally fitted into my perception of the Australian Outback, well going by the films I had seen!

                                                     


A short half hour stop at Crook was planned, for the train to take on water and allow us a quick look around this once thriving town where this sign gave many a giggle, typical Aussie humour.                                
                                       

The time sped past faster than the train travelled and soon it was being announced we would shortly be arriving in Adelaide.

There were many hugs of farewell from my fellow travellers, especially from those with whom I had shared some of my intentions and reasons behind my decisions to sell everything up, and take that leap of faith.
Many had commented they felt I had been very brave to take such decisions, I thanked them but said I had to disagree. People show bravery when facing a life threatening disease, or the death of a loved one. These are life changing situations that are thrust upon you, unwanted, and it takes courage to face those dark unknown fears.

I had chosen to walk a new path, had felt impelled to do so, , and I was blessed with my faith of having an intrepid band of unseen helpers posting signposts along the way.
I was to learn that reading those signposts wasn't always easy, for ego, impatience, self-delusion and insecurity were clever at distorting the images and feelings I received.

Once the final farewells had been given I made my way to a small hotel in Adelaide, and felt so blessed by the friendly, amusing, interesting and kindly people I had been fortunate to meet.
I was only staying the one night as the train to Melbourne was leaving the next day so I used my time to have a wander around, take in some sites and collect my somewhat scattered thoughts.
I had been constantly on the go since leaving England and I needed some time to sit and calm my thoughts.My equilibrium was gently and peacefully restored as I walked around one of the many beautiful Adelaide parks, resting when the I needed to, imbibing the sights and sounds of this land.
I was surprised at how many trees were growing there, you probably won't be surprised when you learn I love trees, even as a child I felt a bond with them, felt a sense of peace around them. I know I could never live in a place that was devoid of trees, I wouldn't be able to breathe.

On returning to my hotel room I called my sister in England to let her know all was going wonderfully well, and also spoke to a couple of friends. Getting into bed, I was grateful that I didn't have to cope with the swaying movement of the train as I climbed a small ladder to my bunk! Snuggling down I gave a huge sigh of happiness and sleep filled my being. I was awoken by the alarm urging me to rise and shine, which I gladly did  as another train journey, a new city was awaiting.

I had chatted with the receptionist on my arrival and people, I was beginning to find out, were very curious about me, about my reasons for travelling on my own (and unsaid sometimes, at my age haha) especially when they found out that I didn't have any definite plans. To explain those reasons I had to be open and honest about my belief in guides and angels as it is so interwoven with my decisions that to omit speaking about it, them, would seem very dishonest.
I can say with my hand on my heart I never had anyone ridicule or abuse me because of my beliefs, perhaps it is because I am naturally light hearted, and though I take my beliefs seriously I never take myself that way, though I think, it does help being a Sagittarian :)

So this lovely receptionist, gave me her card and made me promise that I would call her if I ever came that way again as she would love to meet up with me, also to call if I ever needed help.
She waved me off as the taxi sped away taking me to the station for the final leg of my train adventure before catching the ferry that would be taking me to Launceston, Tasmania.

That is where I am going to leave you folks, I am actually typing this in bed, have been here coughing and spluttering for four days now, but before I go I do have some news about Scarletina's Quest for Fairy Wings, the Earth Circle.

Chapters Bookstore have my book now, and am planning to have a book signing there in the future, and also an independent bookstore is taking some books on consignment and is happy to have a book signing too, so wonderful news there.

Am beginning to get some really lovely reviews which is great news, and once I am fit will start planning my press releases to hopefully coincide with the book signings, maybe .... am learning to be less controlling about things, am always trying to go with the flow, but there have been a lot of beavers building dams in my river for a while haha, so will keep you informed of my progress.

Don't forget if you want to read about this unique fairy, the flora and fauna of her woodland shown in a way that will inform and delight, go to

www.friesenpress.com/bookstore
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Chapters.

My website http://bessdrewsherret.ca

Signed copies available (Paypal payment)  email: scarletina.quest@gmail.com

Thank you again for visiting

Blessings
Bess


No comments:

Post a Comment