Friday 15 November 2019

TEXAS, AGEING, BELIEF, NEW ZEALAND and SERANDIPITY some topics I shall be looking at on this blog!

(green font for past - blue font for present)

So we are starting today's look into my past in Christchurch New Zealand. I had left the hotel that I had originally booked into and checked into a modest motel with cooking facilities. It was a really a confusing and vulnerable time, my plans cast to the wind, yet honestly I can still remember the absolute faith I had that things would work out. 

Looking back, I now find it really amazing that I could do that! That is what is so important for me to impart to you, it may seem incredible what people do, but when it happened to me, there was no question I wasn't going to do it. I mean, sell my home, give my things away, set off into the unknown at fifty five, but it was a done deal as far as I was concerned.

I think sometimes when we look at what other people have done, we can think, "I would never do that," and sometimes we wouldn't, but that doesn't mean to say that if an opportunity arises, or a belief in something you want to do arises, that it can't be done. 

People say listen to your gut, well your gut is your solar plexus, and this is the call centre to receive guidance from God and his universe, or from whatever you believe connects you to something other than another human being, other worldly...

I applied and received my visa, I could stay for a year, so I began looking for a place to rent. I responded to an advert and went for an interview and was thrilled when they told me it was mine! It was a downstairs flat, two bedrooms miniscule kitchen and lounge/diner, but it was within walking distance of Christchurch, which was fantastic.

So, before long I was ensconced in my new home, it had no central heating but did have a portable gas heater, the owners said I could refill the cannister at the garage at the top of the road, which was about a fifteen minute walk. So when it ran out I was presented with the task of getting the cannister to the garage, it would be too heavy for me to carry so what to do? 

When I walked onto the garage forecourt, and went to the pumps, I couldn't help giggling to myself imagining what the person at the checkout would be thinking I was doing. There I was, without a car, going to the pumps, pulling a suitcase! Yes, my brainwave had been to put the cannister in the suitcase to take it to the garage, and it worked out perfectly.

I decided that I needed to get out so decided to join a local gym, I am not an exercise fanatic but thought this would be a good thing for me to do. So one day I decided to go on the exercise machine where it looks like you are in a rowing boat, grabbing hold of the handles I began to heave on them pulling myself back and forth, the seat rattling around under me. 

I looked at the girl next to me, who was working as hard as I was, and said, "Are you Oxford or Cambridge" and laughed. To my astonishment she replied, with an English accent and said, "Cambridge of course." 

The boat race is a yearly time honoured tradition in England, the Universities of Cambridge and Oxford battle along the Thames, rowing their hearts out to be the champion.


"Oh your English," I spluttered.

"Yes, my name is Terry, pleased to meet you.:"

And so synchronicity kicked in once again, and I found a friend I still treasure today.

So back to present day. As you can see we are living in Texas, yeehah, just loving it. I may repeat myself, but...we adored our time in Lake Charles and when Alex was laid off in 2017 we were very sad to leave. 
We kept saying how we would love to return to Louisiana, but two years went by, and then a phone call asking Alex if he was interested in a position in Texas.

Needless to say he said yes and in a matter of weeks he was off to begin his new job. I had to wait, as being English I had to apply for a dependents visa, which meant going to the embassy in Calgary. When this was all done, Alex came home and we packed up a trailer and set off back down to Texas. Five days driving, and unfortunately in the most dreadful snow and ice conditions, I don't think my buttocks unclenched till we reached the Texas warmth 😅

I was so excited to be back and loved our apartment from the moment I stepped into it. 

So the first thing I did was to find a highly recommended hairdresser, I am not into shoes, or even clothes but MY HAIR oh boy that has to be right. So found a hairdresser, and... well I'll leave what happened till next time we talk.

Have a wonderful weekend lovelies, I know we will, my lovely husband is sleeping as I type, he has a very long day, and I am a night owl, chat soon, take care.

Bess




No comments:

Post a Comment