Tuesday 15 December 2015

CHRISTMAS ON MY OWN IN TASMANIA, BUT LOTS OF FUN TO BE HAD!

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you have a joyful time, filled with love, laughter, good food and fun, and may the coming year be filled with life's blessings and abundance for you.

I thought this might be a good time to share with you my first solo festive time in Tasmania.

Christmas in Tasmania! What was I going to do? The answer was simple, enjoy myself. Yes I would be on my own, therefore it was up to me to plan the festivities with as much fervour as I had always done when family and friends visited us.

I learnt whilst being on my own, to treat myself as well as I  treated others, and this especially applied at Christmas. My first Christmas I had volunteered at a dinner for a charity and had really enjoyed it, but felt this year I had to do something for myself.

I wanted to make it special for me, to make the effort to cook the food I loved and select the wine to go with it, and without it, after all it was Christmas :)

It can be easy to think it's just me, I won't bother, but I didn't want to go down that path.
I hit upon a wonderful idea, which for those of you who might be in the same situation this Yuletide, please feel free to do the same :)

I bought myself presents! I indulged myself and my fancies, oh it was such fun. Not everything had to be expensive, just those little things that normally I would not have bought.

These gifts were all wrapped, with gift tags from Bess to Bess and placed under the tree, along with those from family and friends.
It did seem odd to have a Christmas tree without the usual wintry weather, but it just added to the fun.

I planned the festive lunch with enthusiasm, and decided to try a Jamie Oliver chicken dish, happily I shopped for the wines, veggies, fruit, chocolates and of course the chicken, so by Christmas Eve all was ready.

I had decided to surprise my sister by videoing parts of the day, I thought it would be fun for her to see me in my new surrounding, at such a special time.

As usual I awoke early because I knew Santa had been, ever the excitable child :) collected my presents, a pot of tea and went back to my bed for the unwrapping.

Switching on the video camera I said,

"As you can see I have sorted my presents into two piles, one pile is from Bess (me), the other from family and friends. 
Yes it is obvious that Bess has bought me a lot of gifts, and she always gets such wonderful things, never a wrong present from her!"

I then shared the joys of unwrapping my gifts, and Bess did get it right every time :) when my sister eventually saw it, she said she couldn't stop laughing and was so happy that I had obviously enjoyed Christmas morning.

I then took the camera into the kitchen where I did a mini cooking show, well I was doing a Jamie Oliver dish! Actually it was really great to do the videoing, I felt I was sharing Christmas with my family.

Because of the 11 hour time difference between England and Tasmania, my day was beginning as theirs was ending. So after an emotional but happy phone call, I made some scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, and sipped on a glass of Bucks Fizz, (orange juice and champagne) whilst having another look at my gifts.

Later in the day the aroma of a sage and onion stuffed chicken began to waft through the house. I would only have  needed to smell a cigar and I would have been transported back to my childhood.
Chicken was a luxury which we only had at Christmas, and my dad only ever smoked a cigar at Christmas, it's funny how 'smell' plays such an important part in our memories, isn't it, especially ones that evoke happiness and joy.

I set the table with festive table mats, wine and water glasses, candles, it looked really beautiful, and before long I was seated and tucking into my delicious dinner.

Did I have some sad moments, of course I did, don't we all, whether alone or with loved ones, there are always memories of those who are no longer with us, but we share our memories and bring them to life again.

I missed that time of sharing, and I shed a few tears but quickly counted my many blessings. I smiled as I looked back on the year, and sent my gratitude to all of those who had supported me in my new adventure.
I know some had been fearful of my decision to launch myself out into the world at 55, but now were really happy and content for me and enjoying my amazing journey.

I also sent my thanks to God and my angels and guides for the never ending support and guidance that I felt blessed with.
The night was drawing in, the day was coming to an end, but I knew that the future was only just beginning.
                 ****************

Enjoy this time, give and receive with love, think of those less fortunate and count your blessings, and pray for peace in our world.

Oh and Scarletina is getting ready to assist me in writing the second part of the trilogy, The Moon Circle, lots more magic in this one! Or so she tells me!

Scarletina would love to end up in someone's Christmas stocking, and she has such a wonderful wisdom and world to share. Just go to any Amazon and order it from there, even if you don't she will be bringing you sprinkles of magical fairy dust to add sparkle to your Christmas.

Blessings
Bess and of course Scarletina xx




No comments:

Post a Comment