Tuesday 1 December 2015

2015 A SUMMER OF CHALLENGES, FUN, MAJOR CHANGE AND LOSS.

I would like to bring you up to date with the past few months, which I hope will explain my tardiness in writing another blog!

This summer, life has given me many blessings and happy times, along with some very sad and stressed out moments too. Well when we are experiencing such times, it certainly doesn't feel like 'moments' does it!

My husband was laid off from work last September, along with many others due to the fall in oil prices and the cutting back on projects.
We decided to try and look at this as a blessing as we would be spending more time together, whilst accepting it would be a time of belt tightening and stress. We would be sensible, but with the optimism that all would turn out well.

Fast forward to July, Alex was still looking for work, he was constantly sending out applications but without any success. That month we were having a much loved friend Betty and her sister coming for a visit from Tasmania. Betty's husband had died in 2014, they had been married for many years and she had been struggling with her loss.
When we spoke she had said she would love to come and visit but financially it wasn't viable just yet, so we were both thrilled when she let me know her children were paying for their mum to come and see me and meet my beloved husband Alex.

We had the most amazing time with Betty and her sister sharing the beauty of Alberta, taking time to recall past memories and the extra joy of making new ones.
I had always cherished Betty as a friend, her family treated me as one of their own when I lived in Tasmania, I was so grateful to her children for making our reunion possible.
Sadly at this time, Alex's father had been suffering ill health, he was normally a robust 94 year old, but things weren't looking good for him. Thankfully he gained strength as the days passed, ever the fighter.

Then towards the end of August, another reunion with a dear friend, also from Tasmania! Carol and I met in Tasmania and our wonderful friendship formed quickly and has continued. When we lived in Kuwait she was planning a visit to the UK so suggested that we meet in Dubai. It would only be for one night but that didn't deter us! We had such fun. So when we returned to Canada, she said she would like to visit!
We had a fantastic time catching up, showing her around and found we had a shared love of squirrels, particularly the black ones found in Alberta!So lots of time sitting out on the deck watching them.

After Carol left we quickly went to see Alex's dad, who had improved somewhat and we had some very special times with him. We were able to share our exciting news that Alex had been offered an great job in Louisiana, dear Dad was thrilled that Alex's perseverance had paid off.
It is always hard leaving a beloved parent, especially when their health is so fragile, but we were blessed that what were to be our final memories of him, were ones of happiness and love

Hectic time followed, organising the move to Louisiana, getting our visa's etc.,  Alex left first, I had to wait nearly 6 weeks to join him as I had to get a different visa as I am still a British citizen.

Eventually I arrived on the 20th October, and sadly Alex's dad passed away the following day. So on the 23rd we were flying back to Canada to attend the funeral.

We will so miss this lovely man, his love, compassion and humour but know that he is happy being reunited with his loved ones and out of pain.

So hope this goes some way to explaining my absence, it's good to be back, and will now continue my journey whilst in Tasmania.

                ...............        

SCARY SOUNDS IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT!



I was still living in Hobart but had found a new home near Cygnet,I had some time to get ready for the move to my new home and God and the Universe stepped in to assist me.

I spread the word that I was looking for furniture and fortunately a friend’s mum was selling a double bed, a dining table and chairs, so I quickly paid her and so began to furnish my home.
I love going into charity shops, love a bargain, well who doesn't :)so I spent many a happy hour trawling them looking, and buying stuff to take with me.
By the time it came for me to leave, I had pots and pans, china, cutlery and some totally unnecessary knick knacks which I knew however, would begin to make the house my home.

A friend's husband offered to drive a rental van for me, yes I had acquired enough stuff to warrant one, no surprise there:)
Suddenly moving day arrived, I was sad to leave the friends I had made in Hobart, but with promises to call in when I visited, and invitations for them to come and see me, I closed another chapter of my life.

I felt so excited as we drove up the long drive to my home, there was about two acres of land with the house, and I had agreed that it would be my responsibility to keep it mowed, something I was looking forward to! Before long the furniture was unloaded and I was waving farewell to my very kind friends.

Taking a deep breath of anticipation, I pulled open the patio doors and stood looking out at the amazing scenery, I could see tall Eucalyptus trees, along with lots of other plants that I was unfamiliar with, but recognised the currant bushes, they reminded me of England!


I quickly began to unpack my precious purchases, and as usual made the bed first. Everything else could wait till tomorrow, but the bed had to be ready for me! I had bought some pale lemon cotton sheets and a blue throw, new bedding for me is a must! I usually wash them first but didn't have time, but hey, there was only me to worry about. 

This thought still had the power to make my stomach flip, especially as before leaving Hobart, I had signed the divorce papers which would now be back in the U.K. I paused and reflected on the multiple changes in my life. I had no regrets only sadness that our marriage hadn't worked out, but was cheered by the fact that we remained good friends, and still are to this day. We can't change the past, but we can learn from it, respect it and grow from our experiences.

I had bought a bottle of champagne and some oysters for my first celebratory dinner, no time like the present I thought, so quickly rinsing a wine glass, plate and a fork, I sat at my dining table and raised a glass toasting my new life and home.

I took a chair outside and sipping my champagne experienced the wonders of the Tasmanian sunset, wondered at the breathtaking colour.




When the sun set everywhere became an inky black except for the beautiful stars lighting up the sky in all their glory. It was then I realised that I couldn't see any lights from other houses, not even a faint glimmer pierced the darkness, I was isolated and alone!

Like many people I have an instinctive fear of the dark, so decided it was time to beat a retreat into the haven of my well lit house, when suddenly there came a blood curdling sound that seemed to echo around me, I couldn't get back into the house quick enough!
From the safety of my bedroom I peered out into the darkness trying to see what it might be. I had the window open, but the fly guard stopped me from getting a clear view when suddenly something moved in the bushes. With a pounding heart I tried to see what it was and then had a brainwave, I could put on the outside lights!

Could this be the howling banshee? I started giggling partly relief and partly pure pleasure, for there in my garden was .....



a Wallaby, well not just one, several of them hopping around, they looked so cute but were obviously startled by the bright light, so I quickly switched it off.

Clambering into bed I realised that life in my somewhat remote home was going to be very interesting, with all these new animals, I later found out that the screeching I heard was the Tasmanian Devil, a spunky



little guy whose voice belies his size! If you want to hear what he sounded like to to:


( go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RjAh8PRTQ )

Whilst I am on scary moments, I must share with you another heart stopping moment, I saw this crawling over my curtains one morning, it's called the Huntsmen Spider, not harmful to us, but visually so scary ...



To my shame I panicked and hit it with a broom and killed it, and I have to say that was the last time I ever killed a spider, my mum used to say "if you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive"!

This adage nearly caused me serious repercussions when I was living in New Zealand. The ground floor apartment I was renting had a small garden with bushes, and I had been getting quite a lot of spiders in the house, which I dutifully caught in a cloth and put outside.

A friend from Tasmania was visiting and we were sitting in the lounge chatting away when she said "Just keep still, don't move" taking off her shoe she hit something on the wall behind me, and proudly showed me a rather crushed and very dead spider!

I explained that I didn't kill them and had been rescuing them, her eyes widened and she exclaimed "you have been doing what! This is a white tailed spider, they can give you a nasty bite that doesn't always heal!"

I was given a valuable lesson in that size really has nothing to do with how harmful a spider is, does it :)

Over time I learned what to give a wide berth to and what to welcome, one of the latter was the blue tongue lizard who looked fearsome but really helped keep the garden clear of snails!


Over the next few weeks I added a couple of chairs, a television, coffee table and of course some more knick knacks, crystals that caught my eye and angels and fairy ornaments. I had no idea of how long I would be staying in Tasmania, but went along with my inner feelings that it was going to be for some time.

Well folks, this is where I am going to stop chatting to you, but I have lots more to tell!

                .................

UPDATE

We are in our new apartment, which is almost sorted out! Life is beginning to settle back into some kind of normal routine, Alex at work, and me? Well in the new year I am planning on writing the next part of the Scarletina trilogy, and publishing my book Divine Inspiration with Chocolate, will keep you all posted.

If you would like to buy a copy of Scarletina's Quest for Fairy Wings, the Earth Circle, and I would be thrilled if you did, to order your copy go to:

www.Amazon.com 
or 
www.friesenpress.com/bookstore  

This book would make the perfect gift, one that parents would be very happy for their child to read. 

It shares the delightful fairy world of Nightingale Wood, Scarletina's adventures with her friends and the wildlife, how consequences even happen to fairy Scarletina, and how her parents guide their impetuous, loving and inquisitive daughter.

Wildlife comes to life in this book! Children will learn about the woodland flower and fauna in a unique and insightful way, fairy wisdom gently guides them to look at our world with new eyes and caring thoughts. 

I wish you all a very merry, happy and contented Christmas, may 2016 be a year that is filled with life's blessings and abundance.

Thank you for stopping by,

Blessings

Bess

  












  












No comments:

Post a Comment